Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818619 times)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9285 on: October 11, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
Is there really a karaoke place with John Lennon's "Mother" in their system?  I have a hard time believing it, but the mental image of AP Mike getting up there and singing that song for karaoke makes me want to believe that it's true.

It's true. I think it's based on the Shelby Lynne version, though. Are you familiar with it? It's a killer! Even more so when you know that her father killed her mother and then committed suicide. I saw her do it live once. Unbelievable. I could never top her version.
See God, Kai

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9286 on: October 11, 2012, 06:49:14 PM »
I would watch a "The Voice" -esque show where Tom and a rotating cast of celebrity judges coached people on their karaoke skills and song choices.

Dennis

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9287 on: October 12, 2012, 05:13:16 AM »
This show was an all-time classic, and maybe the best of its era.  If I were into the Grateful Dead, I would compare it to 1990-09-20, but Bryce would be the only one who would get what I meant.

Kormod

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9288 on: October 12, 2012, 07:33:44 AM »

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9289 on: October 12, 2012, 08:20:23 AM »
Re "dregs" - my political views often differ from those of my friends and entertainment faves, but I have no patience for anyone, Dem or Repub, Green or Libertarian, who gets belligerent or smirky about it.  I always suggest the tests of "How would I feel if this were on the front page of the NY Times?" or "Would I say this to Tom's/anyone's face if I ran into him on the street?"  Do this every time you're ready to hit "send," and you'll very rarely need to come crawling back on the Internet.

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9290 on: October 12, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »
(This post is just so I can reach a solid 100.)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9291 on: October 12, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »
I'm finally getting a chance to listen. I'm at the beginning but I just wanted to say 'D'yer Maker' is pronounced 'Jermaker'. I heard an interview w/ Robert Plant where he explained that since the song has a reggae feel the title is a reference to the joke:

'My wife and I went on holiday to the Carribean.'

'Jamaica?'

'No, she wanted to go.'

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9292 on: October 12, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »
I'm finally getting a chance to listen. I'm at the beginning but I just wanted to say 'D'yer Maker' is pronounced 'Jermaker'. I heard an interview w/ Robert Plant where he explained that since the song has a reggae feel the title is a reference to the joke:

'My wife and I went on holiday to the Carribean.'

'Jamaica?'

'No, she wanted to go.'

Very informative! 
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9293 on: October 12, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »
http://www.rappcats.com/hotshit/madlib-mixtape-for-carhartt-radio/

3:40, biatch. (39:25, too).

Modulator conspiracy unveiled!!!!

seriously, that was so cool.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9294 on: October 12, 2012, 10:24:41 AM »
Re "dregs" - my political views often differ from those of my friends and entertainment faves, but I have no patience for anyone, Dem or Repub, Green or Libertarian, who gets belligerent or smirky about it.  I always suggest the tests of "How would I feel if this were on the front page of the NY Times?" or "Would I say this to Tom's/anyone's face if I ran into him on the street?"  Do this every time you're ready to hit "send," and you'll very rarely need to come crawling back on the Internet.

This.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

schep22

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9295 on: October 12, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »
"Mayor Danza is my father's name."

Crusherkc

« Reply #9296 on: October 12, 2012, 11:09:53 AM »
http://www.rappcats.com/hotshit/madlib-mixtape-for-carhartt-radio/
3:40, biatch. (39:25, too).

Modulator conspiracy unveiled!!!!

seriously, that was so cool.

If the rumor of Tom using a modulator is real, does that mean Newbridge is real? 
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Greggulator

« Reply #9297 on: October 12, 2012, 12:55:41 PM »
Tom's shows with guests have been ridiculously amazing lately. Kurt B. and Julie and David Rees and AC have been ridiculously entertaining.

I have never been more upset about not listening live and calling in that this week's karaoke topic. I feel like I could have really added to the karaoke tips, as made clear by my past appearance on the show. Karaoke is one of the greatest of art forms and I pride myself on my abilities.

Here are some of my tips now!

1) I am best known for my crowd-work and crowd-baiting during my karaoke work. But like Tom said, I suggest that people stay away from doing this. This may sound hypocritical but as noted on my appearance, I am REALLY GOOD at riling up karaoke audiences with crowd work. I offer no modesty when saying this; I am possibly the best in the world at obnoxious karaoke prattling. I highly recommend people stay away from crowd-baiting unless specifically trained by myself.

2) My go-to karaoke standard is Under Pressure. Even though there are two vocal parts in this song, I just do them both. I chose Under Pressure for a few reasons. First, Queen is one of the greatest bands of all-time and Freddie Mercury is the best rock singer of all-time. I freely admit that I am a terrible singer, to say the least. But I bring it w/ Under Pressure because I make it my own version, which is what all karaoke artists (not hobbyists) realize.

I start Under Pressure with my back to the audience BLIND from the lyrics for the "buh da day" part. Then, when the PRESSURE kicks in, I do a spinning jump-kick and start the song. I then hold the mic out for the audience to join in during the "LET ME OUT!" part. The last time I did karaoke, I did a knee slide when Freddie busts out there "GIVE OURSELVES ONE MORE CHAAANCE" part at the end and I still have the scar to prove it.

2) Use the space afforded by any chance to do wireless mic karaoke. Go into the crowd! That's what it's there for!

3) But be careful with a wireless mic and standing on furniture. While standing on a chair during "Born To Run." I whacked my head on a ceiling fan. No scars.

4) In Philly, some friends of mine host Karaoke Obscura, which is an indie/punk themed karaoke night. I love this night when they do it since they play songs that you never see at karaoke. Most of the crowd do the genre's standards -- Summer Babe, Neutral Milk Hotel, Guided By Voices, etc. These are great if available.

However, unfortunately, there is a downside to indie/punk karaoke. The primary downside are sad-sack songs, particularly those by Elliot Smith. Apparently, Elliot Smith songs are easy to translate from album to karaoke, according to my friends. But there's nothing worse than an Elliot Smith song in general, let alone with some sad boy mumbling through these songs.

In addition, there's always a gaggle of girls who are doing this ironically, of course, and think it's SO funny that you can do indie karaoke! Always a drag.

My go-to song at this night is "California Uberalles" by The Dead Kennedys. It's short, angry and I also usually change the lyrics to make fun of Drexel University's Library Science program, since 75% of the people i know (including my wife) have a degree from there.

SO mad I missed this show. This was truly a classic!
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9298 on: October 12, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »

This show was an all-time classic, and maybe the best of its era.  If I were into the Grateful Dead, I would compare it to 1990-09-20, but Bryce would be the only one who would get what I meant.

One of the best "Dark Star"s of the post-retirement era, and a post-Drumz two-part "Dark Star" (sandwiching a "Playin' in the Band") to boot. From that era, only 10-26-89 matches it for spaciness.

Likewise, this week's Best Show featured one of the best "Unfair Record Review"-type song deconstructions in Tom's takedown of Live's "Lightning Crashes."

I hate that I know so much about the stuff the Best Show hates.

I also wanted to say that I listen to the podcast on Friday mornings and afternoons during my commute to work. It's been a few months since I've had to pull my car over because I was laughing so hard at TBSOWFMU, but this week's discussion of Mike doing karaoke and Julie Klausner's reaction to it had me putting my hazard lights on.
LN5OG

Crusherkc

« Reply #9299 on: October 12, 2012, 11:18:09 PM »
Karoke song: "Life on Mars?" Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow? Can't think of a funner song to sing in front of people. There's lemons on sale again.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!