Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818523 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9360 on: October 29, 2012, 07:04:35 AM »
A rousing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" to Yuri D for his great artwork!
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9361 on: October 29, 2012, 07:11:24 AM »
This might be what Adam was referring to with regard to the video quality of the Get a Life DVDs. From the Amazon.com comments section related to the box set: "Now for the Shout! Factory release of Get a Life... Whichever intern authored this DVD flew in the face of common sense and re-encoded a separate video track for each and every individual audio track. The DVD includes not only commentaries but alternate audio takes without the laugh track. This means that some episodes are re-encoded with video four or even five times on the same disc. One of the discs has 45 distinct video tracks, where it could have had about 15 or so. The effect of this poor choice is that the video has to be heavily compressed to make it a smaller file, because a disc that should have had less than 3 hours of video on it instead has roughly 12 hours. The resulting quality looks like the quality of a video file that someone encoded for playback on an iPhone."

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9362 on: October 29, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »
Oh wow, that sucks. Shout! Factory is usually pretty great when it comes to DVDs.

not that clay

« Reply #9363 on: October 29, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »
This might be what Adam was referring to with regard to the video quality of the Get a Life DVDs. From the Amazon.com comments section related to the box set: "Now for the Shout! Factory release of Get a Life... Whichever intern authored this DVD flew in the face of common sense and re-encoded a separate video track for each and every individual audio track. The DVD includes not only commentaries but alternate audio takes without the laugh track. This means that some episodes are re-encoded with video four or even five times on the same disc. One of the discs has 45 distinct video tracks, where it could have had about 15 or so. The effect of this poor choice is that the video has to be heavily compressed to make it a smaller file, because a disc that should have had less than 3 hours of video on it instead has roughly 12 hours. The resulting quality looks like the quality of a video file that someone encoded for playback on an iPhone."

This Mirkin guy sounds like a real wad.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9364 on: October 29, 2012, 11:43:59 PM »

This Mirkin guy sounds like a real wad.

Merkin ha ha.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #9365 on: October 30, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »

The video quality on the GET A LIFE set is positively shocking.  It's inconceivable that it was released in this condition by the usually superb Shout! Factory. 
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9366 on: October 31, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
Well last week's show made me finally sit down and watch my Get A Life DVDs, and while the video quality isn't great, I will say this about the bonus features: David Mirkin sure likes the sound of his own voice.

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9367 on: October 31, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »
Well last week's show made me finally sit down and watch my Get A Life DVDs, and while the video quality isn't great, I will say this about the bonus features: David Mirkin sure likes the sound of his own voice.

He commands the Simpsons Commentaries a lot too.

He seems nice (?).

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9368 on: November 01, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »
I missed the last 45 minutes or so from last week and catching up now.

Vance's letter to the editors of Slate is why Vance rules over all puppetdom.

I know this is from a while back, but I'm just catching up on posts, now.  That being said, ALL of puppetdom?  I like Vance a bunch, and feel he's sadly lacking in presence, overshadowed by his room-mate, so I'll agree he rules over all of puppetdom currently active on the show, sure.  Beyond that, though, and it's a BIG stretch.

-Zach

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9369 on: November 01, 2012, 08:19:56 PM »
Listening to the show now and Chris and Resnick talking about The Friedmans is literally making me cry. "Salt of the Earth"

"What do you think of Garry Schandling?"

On another note, I love The Larry Sanders Show as much as the next guy. This episode is pretty reminiscent of some of the themes of The Larry Sanders Show in terms of the insecurities that are a regular part of the entertainment industry.

What I mean by this: Chris and Adam Resnick spent the first part of the show talking about Cabin Boy and Get A Life, and how their careers didn't elevate beyond cult status because a lot of gatekeepers and executives didn't understand their particular form of genius. And then Tom at the end talks about how he now believes he's the guy that makes a product that a lot of speople who get paid love.

It's pretty great that Tom's discussion at the end of the show was launched because of the whole feud with Schandling. It's this whole weird full-circle thing that's really brilliant and oddly poignant.

Great stuff. One of the best episodes ever, and in a completely different way than how The Best Show usually rules.

Believe it or not, on pretty much all of the above, I'm going to have to be in complete agreement (agreeance?) with Gregg.  Also, sucks to hear about the DVDs, especially as I was originally expecting at least Chris commentaries, as I thought he said he'd recorded some, a few years before it actually got officially announced.  Still, it'd be great to see the episodes, again, but it does stink about quality loss, in addition to Chris and Adam not being included in it all.

-Zach

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9370 on: November 02, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
I know this is from a while back, but I'm just catching up on posts, now.  That being said, ALL of puppetdom?  I like Vance a bunch, and feel he's sadly lacking in presence, overshadowed by his room-mate, so I'll agree he rules over all of puppetdom currently active on the show, sure.  Beyond that, though, and it's a BIG stretch.

This is an important and sensitive topic on which one must tread carefully. Throwing around casual judgements, hyperbolizing to express enthusiasm, and suchlike horseplay are not appropriate, Greg.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9371 on: November 02, 2012, 11:47:34 AM »
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

wojo99

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9372 on: November 02, 2012, 06:26:46 PM »
The video quality on the GET A LIFE set is positively shocking.  It's inconceivable that it was released in this condition by the usually superb Shout! Factory.
[/quote]

Regarding the picture quality - It's slightly better than the rhino dvds. The same D2 broadcast masters were used (from SONY). The commentaries play no part in diminishing the video quality. Shout even added another disc throughout the production to make room for more bonus featurettes etc. To think that they would sacrifice the video quality of such a gem (or any show) in favor of audio commentaries is, for lack of a better word, dumb. 

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9373 on: November 02, 2012, 08:52:03 PM »

Regarding the picture quality - It's slightly better than the rhino dvds. The same D2 broadcast masters were used (from SONY). The commentaries play no part in diminishing the video quality. Shout even added another disc throughout the production to make room for more bonus featurettes etc. To think that they would sacrifice the video quality of such a gem (or any show) in favor of audio commentaries is, for lack of a better word, dumb.
[/quote]
Something strange is going on here.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Crusherkc

« Reply #9374 on: November 06, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »
Best moment of the show?  That it's going to happen! Go Tom! Go Mike! Go Jersey! Go Lefties!
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!