Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810715 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9405 on: November 17, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »
Tom's riff on after-show Leonard Cohen going straight from the encore to hitting the sack reminded me of a story Andy Breckman tells from his folkie days. It's funnier if the name of the artist in question is saved for last. So Andy is opening act for this guy, who's a big hero of his, and after the headliner finishes his set, Andy makes a beeline for the dressing room to tell him how much he enjoyed the set and how much this guy's work has meant to him. So he gets there, opens the door, and--the guy is already fast asleep! Right there on the cot! No adrenaline pumping or anything--just zonked out for a well-earned nap!

The name of that artist, friends, was David Crosby.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

ben buff

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9406 on: November 20, 2012, 10:18:44 AM »
I'd never heard of Tim Heidecker prior to this show but what a screwball!

I'd have loved to have been at the meeting where he was handed his $600 with the accountant looking him straight in the eye and saying 'Tax....?'

Now if he has paid 99.99% of his earnings in tax he's right to feel agrieved.  To create something so popular and so successful only to be shafted must really hurt but then in the next breath to talk about ripping off The Beatles '...perhaps we can get a sound-a-like so we don't have to pay royalties....' really speaks volumes about integrity.

I've listened to this conversation twice and it almost merits breaking down line-by-line.

'I don't travel outside the country...so renewing my passport wouldn't really bother me.'

That's what its all about I suppose.

I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box'.  I just wish that once in a while you'd have a rummage around inside it.

@tonycoffey

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9407 on: November 20, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »

I'd have loved to have been at the meeting where he was handed his $600 with the accountant looking him straight in the eye and saying 'Tax....?'

Now if he has paid 99.99% of his earnings in tax he's right to feel agrieved.  To create something so popular and so successful only to be shafted must really hurt but then in the next breath to talk about ripping off The Beatles '...perhaps we can get a sound-a-like so we don't have to pay royalties....' really speaks volumes about integrity.

I've listened to this conversation twice and it almost merits breaking down line-by-line.

'I don't travel outside the country...so renewing my passport wouldn't really bother me.'

Listen again.  You got a lot of it... maybe not *all* of it.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9408 on: November 20, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »

Trolling hard....or not hard enough? Can't tell.
LN5OG

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9409 on: November 21, 2012, 01:04:43 AM »
"Peek-A-Boo!" - AP Mike to Tom in a Quick Chek after last week's show.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9410 on: November 21, 2012, 02:09:47 AM »
Great PBR call.

"Oh, you've never done good dust!"
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

ben buff

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9411 on: November 21, 2012, 05:12:44 AM »
Sorry, did I miss something?  I usually have my spoof-o-metre turned up to 11 so if Tim H was making fun of himself/us I apologise.

My mother-in-law used to watch Alan Partridge believing it was a genuine chat show.  Comments like '..she's been on before hasn't she?' and '..did you see that man you like shoot his guest?' made watching the show even more enjoyable.

I will listen again and see if I missed some of the nuances.

I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box'.  I just wish that once in a while you'd have a rummage around inside it.

@tonycoffey

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9412 on: November 21, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »
Great PBR call.

"Oh, you've never done good dust!"

Seconded. I'll also call out how delightful it is to hear you say the word "puppies" just once, let alone all the short bursts of it you were doing.

And:

"'Fracking deep for oil but there's nothing in the sump. There's kids all picking at the garbage dump.'"
*chi-kuu*
"Ugh. There's the beer."

Crusherkc

« Reply #9413 on: November 21, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »
Best: "In the calendar year 2012, will Gary tha Squirrel talk with Herman Cain" ("Squirreltics with Gary tha Squirrel") and "The next morning I woke up and saw a raccoon holding his stomach"

Worst: Sorry Spike. Not one of your best performances.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

roman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9414 on: November 21, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »
Best: "In the calendar year 2012, will Gary tha Squirrel talk with Herman Cain" ("Squirreltics with Gary tha Squirrel") and "The next morning I woke up and saw a raccoon holding his stomach"

Worst: Sorry Spike. Not one of your best performances.

I actually thought Spike's call was pretty good.  Denzel Washington would play a great Spike. ;D

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9415 on: November 21, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »
I am catching up on some of the shows I missed this summer, and am wondering about JfA's suggestion of a Tom-hosted show to counter Seinfeld's "Driving in Ridiculous Cars Sipping Coffee That is Made From Gold". They were discussing a show set in a waiting room, where Tom will sit with people in the waiting room and talk to them about their lives.

Can we call this show "The Hardest Part"?

Greggulator

« Reply #9416 on: November 22, 2012, 01:39:40 AM »
Roxborough High School's production of The Warriors. Living mere blocks from that fine institution, I can personally attest that it won't be very hard to put together a cast full of the Turnbull ACs, Baseball Furies, Orphans and the like. Pretty sure the 20-ish dude I saw today in front of the school doing karate chops in order to threaten an elderly man would be a great Swan.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9417 on: November 22, 2012, 11:01:46 AM »
Sorry, did I miss something?  I usually have my spoof-o-metre turned up to 11 so if Tim H was making fun of himself/us I apologise.
Tim's performance is probably best enjoyed in the context of his career up to this point. Some personal highlights:

Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!: All The Food is Poison

Tim and Eric - Just 3 Boyz

ben buff

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9418 on: November 22, 2012, 12:25:06 PM »
Cheers Bryan,

I will do some homework and report back.

It's a modern day problem isn't it.  Flipping around the podcast dial you often jump in three years down the line a show that's been running in a country you've never heard of.

Love your work.

@tonycoffey

arthur

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9419 on: November 22, 2012, 08:06:26 PM »
As a Canadian prone to watching garbage afternoon television, Tom's mention of Steven and Chris had me in tears.