Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818895 times)

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9855 on: April 12, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »
Between Jello Man and the Piano Van guy, this was a funny and inspiring show.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9856 on: April 12, 2013, 01:25:02 PM »
Is this the first time Shouterday Night Live has been mentioned?  I loved it either way.

I love "alternate history" stuff like this. Or maybe it's more like "parallel history"

Some thoughts occur about this proposed party/disaster catered by JelloMan ... can this be incorporated into the the Best Show Xmas party? Are there any remaining cans in the "classic" 4Loko stash? If so, can any portion of that 4Loko be incorporated into Jello Shots?

Perhaps, in the process of Jello-izing 4Loko, JelloMan will stumble upon a cure for cancer and win a Nobel Prize. One never knows.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9857 on: April 12, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »
Great to hear Jeff Feuerzeig. I saw his Half Japanese doc when it came out in 1993. I knew all about the punk DIY aesthetic already, but the movie made it seem like it could be a lot of fun. It turned out being a big influence on me, specifically this:

David & Jad Fair from Half Japanese explain how to play guitar

(Holy shit! I haven't seen this since 1993! And I think about it all the time!)

I didn't realize the same guy also made the Daniel Johnston documentary. I never wanted to see it because I hate the way people glorify mental illness and I assumed this movie would be like every other. It came on IFC or whatever and my wife wanted to see it. I was completely wrong. I've never seen anything better about mental illness. That idiot who called to complain about him has no idea what she's talking about.

InspectorHound

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9858 on: April 12, 2013, 11:24:21 PM »
Tommy "Not That Tommy" Lasorda

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9859 on: April 13, 2013, 02:36:54 PM »
Haha, Flood, that font. I love when Tom does that.

"New AP at gmail dot com. I'm not saying whether I'm running that account. New AP at gmail dot com. No, I'm not. That's not a real account. Now some creep's gonna set it up."

"Hey, it's me, Tom. Yeah, meet me. Yeah, come meet me at the train yard. See if you got what it takes to be the new AP."
Really, the best part of the show was that Tom's sketchy New AP email guy voice kept drifting into his AP Mike voice.

Topher

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9860 on: April 13, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »
One question: does anyone know what Jeff Feurezig uses to film/record those sessions? I understand its an iPhone app, but they look great, and the sound seems better than an iPhone's...
Yeah.  Why?

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #9861 on: April 13, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »
For the Jelloman fans: http://www.iphoneogram.com/u/8711505.

This is what Tom's future looks like:

not that clay

« Reply #9862 on: April 13, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »
One question: does anyone know what Jeff Feurezig uses to film/record those sessions? I understand its an iPhone app, but they look great, and the sound seems better than an iPhone's...

The iphone 5 is actually pretty amazing.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9863 on: April 15, 2013, 10:28:27 AM »
I am so glad that the Best Show is finally becoming the premier venue for promoting itinerants.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9864 on: April 15, 2013, 08:58:18 PM »
I'm gonna be a creep here and point something out- when Orenthal Harrups called in he said that Officer Harrups was what would happen if "Ian from the UCB was a cop." Well, on the last season of RENO 911, Ian Roberts from the Upright Citizens Brigade did in fact play a cop. Was this a gentle ribbing or is the implication here that his character was a rip off of Officer Harrups? Or neither?

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #9865 on: April 16, 2013, 12:17:44 PM »
Neither.

Tom.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9866 on: April 16, 2013, 08:16:19 PM »
Neither.

Tom.

Cool. I will press no further.

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9867 on: April 17, 2013, 12:38:03 AM »
The kid whose parents catch him smoking and force him to smoke a whole pack of cigarettes saying, "Hey, I'm actually getting the hang of this thing," and becoming a full-time smoker.

I thought all the e-cigarette bashing was funny, even though I ashamedly use one myself.
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9868 on: April 17, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »
Good show last night. The calls from Andy Kindler and the Alabammy Comet were the highlights for me.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Greggulator

« Reply #9869 on: April 17, 2013, 10:47:22 AM »
Just started listening. Getting a bit misty eyed listening to J-Rich's "Government Center."

I moved up to Boston (Somerville, for accuracy sake, but still) right after my now-wife, who just finished grad school at Northeastern when we met. I somehow never heard Jonathan or the Modern Lovers before, save for when they play "Roadrunner" at the end of PCU. I'm not sure how this escaped me. She was a huge fan and I became a huge fan as a result.

I was going through a really tough time when I moved up there. If you've read my brother's book (or more accurately, his letter to a kid who was talking about committing suicide) -- that happened when I moved up there, so I was really upset as a loving big brother. There were also some other family issues that emerged that were awful. On top of it, I learned that my best friend in high school (who separated himself from all of us in college) committed suicide. This all happened within the first few weeks of moving up there. I was also "teaching" at this after-school program in Dorchester; the kids were rad and hilarious but the program, in itself, was a major trust fund hippie thing which was not my deal at all. It was terrible. I also lived in the last remaining bad neighborhood in Somerville in a boarding house with non-stop creeps moving in and out. I also only had a handful of friends up there, a few of which were in law school which is to say it's really hard to hang out w/ people in law school. I also went through my entire savings when I lost that teaching job and then quit/let go from another place on Newbury Street (one block from the bombing) after a co-worker threatened to fight me in the office. And the winter's up there are absolutely brutal.

Things got better the next year. I moved in w/ one of my best friends (who introduced me to The Best Show at this time period) and had a great job down working for a newspaper. The paper, though, was in Plymouth, about an hour south from me. I spent a lot of my time down there. So I never really connected w/ Boston when I lived there. The best moments in my life have all pretty much happened in Philly.

That's not to say there weren't great things. The red line over the Charles is spectacular every single time. I took an economics class on the Harvard campus as part of their community program. I introduced one of my friends to a girl at The Burren and they're now married. My wife and I secreted our way into Fenway Park in the winter when they were doing construction. I also, another time, hung out in the Fenway bullpen and used the bathroom. My roommate and I spent so much of our time watching the Celts and the 7 Seconds or Less Suns. I saw Harry Shearer talk do a Q&A at the Coolidge Corner Theater only about Spinal Tap.  But, still, the bad cloud that I was in defined my time up there.

The last time I visited was this past winter when my brother did a show up in Somerville. It was amazing weather for the season. We had such an amazing time and it was a completely perfect weekend. When we were up there, we briefly talked about moving up there -- I don't think we will because of jobs and our roots are here and the cost of living is still crazy up there. I completely fell in love with Boston and wish I felt that way about the area when I actually lived there.

Monday was absolutely awful. All of my friends were safe -- the stuff down by Boylston Street is very much a gigantic party, but thankfully no one I know was down there. But like I said, I worked a block away from where the second bomb went off so that hit home. But it was just dreadful for my wife because she went to the marathon non-stop.

Anyways, thanks for the songs, Tom.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com