Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2819160 times)

placeholder

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10380 on: September 19, 2013, 09:32:43 AM »
I was very happy to hear James is still alive and that he did not drown in his own sweat.

I might be the only one, but I love when he calls every 11 months.

I like James.  I really like the way he immediately starts flaming out if Tom gets him to stay on the line.  I lost it when he said "a Jamesing occurred" or whatever it was.

BTW: what's with people asking you if you like a show, you answer 'seen it once, not for me', they respond 'what are you crazy? that's a great show!'?  I'm relistening to the show and I'm at the call from south Philly last night.  Berating Tom cuz he didn't care for 'Firefly'.  Why are Josh Weedon fans the biggest culprits at doing this?  Some people do not care for his brand of snarky/meta-ironic/pop-cultural referencing sci-fi actioners.  From 'Buffy' to 'Cabin in the Woods'- booooo!  Tom played it right.  "Okay I'll give it another chance"  That will stop the pestering.  I did the same for the Avengers: "Oh I was in a bad mood when I saw it, I'm sure I will like it when I see it again on video"  I was in a bad mood because of watching that movie.  I saw one episode of 'Firefly': Buck Rogers with updated special effects and slightly edgier wise cracks. So what?  Sorry, Weedon fans touch a button in me.

Oh, do I ever agree with this.  Even if I didn't already despise what little I've seen of this guy's work, his fans have guaranteed that I won't ever attempt to sit through any more of it.  I don't like sci-fi or fantasy stuff at all, though, so cutesy, grating versions of same are absolutely not going to be for me.

Whedon fans are the Zappa fans of sci-fi, and I'll bet there's serious overlap between those two fanbases.
"I came into the room/You didn't know I was The Creature."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10381 on: September 20, 2013, 01:18:58 PM »
Poor Mike, getting blamed for my 'I'm surprised none of the Nazis got killed in the shootout' comment in the forum.

ColbyCheese

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10382 on: September 20, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »
"Tonight there's gonna be a dome break / Somewhere under this dome."

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #10383 on: September 20, 2013, 04:34:56 PM »
Poor Mike, getting blamed for my 'I'm surprised none of the Nazis got killed in the shootout' comment in the forum.

Thanks for owning up to your comment, Steve. I stand exonerated.
See God, Kai

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #10384 on: September 20, 2013, 05:06:32 PM »
Worst moment was that creepy "Have you worked out lately" call. Though I did love Tom's response, "Have you bombed on a radio show lately?"

oh I dunno
I thought that was going somewhere...

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10385 on: September 21, 2013, 12:41:42 AM »
Trembling Eagle -

I could start lifting weights tomorrow if I wanted to.

You on the other hand could take from now until the end of time and you'd never be able to intentionally make anybody laugh.

Tom.

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10386 on: September 21, 2013, 01:53:59 AM »
I loved the Topcat guy throwout, and I also loved Tom's back-and-forth with the Apple girl.
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #10387 on: September 21, 2013, 03:43:54 AM »
Trembling Eagle -

You on the other hand could take from now until the end of time and you'd never be able to intentionally make anybody laugh.

Tom.

of course. your comedy and writing chops are unquestionable. thanks for the many, many hours of great entertainment over the years.

But you have to admit some of the greatest comedians have also lifted Joe Piscopo, Carrot Top, Ben Stiller even Dane Cook.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10388 on: September 21, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »
But you have to admit some of the greatest comedians have also lifted Joe Piscopo, Carrot Top, Ben Stiller even Dane Cook.

Well, Trembling Eagle just made me laugh, but I'm completely unclear on whether it was intentional.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

bigoteetoe

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10389 on: September 23, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »
Zazzle-ing "I lifted Joe Piscapo" t-shirt now, cementing my place in the list of all time great comedians.
the pudding is delicious

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10390 on: September 23, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »
I lifted a Joe Piscopo joke once and Joe lifts weights, by the transitive property I too lift weights

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10391 on: September 24, 2013, 12:25:52 PM »
Joss Whedon fans are the worst evangelists of his work ever.  They are the reason my wife will never assent to watch Firefly with me.  Second place goes to my fellow Radiohead fans.
I was talking about Radiohead fans and their tendencies and I coined the phrase Stoned-splaining as a result. Yes I'm bragging.

On another note, I hate to admit this but I get really excited when Tom gets James'ed.  I hate "James" himself because he's such a putz, but I always hope Tom will figure out it's him before he gets James'ed and will James him again.
The time that Tom Jamesed James was one of the best things ever.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10392 on: September 24, 2013, 06:11:27 PM »
Trembling Eagle -

Tom.

of course. your comedy and writing chops are unquestionable. thanks for the many, many hours of great entertainment over the years.

Check it out, Tom, he intentionally(?) made somebody laugh.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10393 on: September 24, 2013, 06:58:59 PM »
On another note, I hate to admit this but I get really excited when Tom gets James'ed.  I hate "James" himself because he's such a putz, but I always hope Tom will figure out it's him before he gets James'ed and will James him again.
The time that Tom Jamesed James was one of the best things ever.

Yes, I distinctly remember that. But Tom has such a keen sense for these types of "pranks". He did it to the "Carry on my wayward son"-kids too.
Simply wonderful!

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10394 on: September 26, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Can anyone tell me what Tom's "connect" to Bye Bye Birdie is? Doesn't seem like a musical guy!