Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818935 times)

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10755 on: December 23, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »
Anyone have any guesses as to the summertime call that Jon referenced as being the cause of so much post-call grief for himself?

I was wondering that too. I don't recall any calls seeming especially weak or poorly thought out. Some are weaker than others and that might have been one of them, but  I'd have to be reminded if one was especially bad.

Bull Shannon

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10756 on: December 23, 2013, 05:31:54 PM »
Quote from: CactusClothesline on December 20, 2013, 03:35:58 AM
Anyone have any guesses as to the summertime call that Jon referenced as being the cause of so much post-call grief for himself?

I was wondering that too. I don't recall any calls seeming especially weak or poorly thought out. Some are weaker than others and that might have been one of them, but  I'd have to be reminded if one was especially bad.

I, too, am curious. There were a few weeks in a row where Wurster would call in and just argue about whatever Tom was talking about, then suddenly go "OH NO I dropped my co-co-nut water! ohhhh nooooo-" and then hang up. Those sounded pretty unplanned, but I thought they were hilarious.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10757 on: December 24, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »
Quote from: CactusClothesline on December 20, 2013, 03:35:58 AM

I, too, am curious. There were a few weeks in a row where Wurster would call in and just argue about whatever Tom was talking about, then suddenly go "OH NO I dropped my co-co-nut water! ohhhh nooooo-" and then hang up. Those sounded pretty unplanned, but I thought they were hilarious.

Yeah, I liked those. The problem with even speculating is that someone will inevitable insult a call Tom & Jon spent hours working out the details on so I'd almost rather not do that.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10758 on: December 27, 2013, 01:46:37 PM »
Jesus Christ, Wurster's last performance as PDR was brilliant....I'm gonna miss that guy

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10759 on: December 16, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »
I thought I should bump this in anticipation for the return :)

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10760 on: December 16, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »
I thought I should bump this in anticipation for the return :)

Good idea.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

Kal_El

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10761 on: December 17, 2014, 10:51:47 AM »
When he got that baseball know-it-all to say that if you hit a grand slam after the 15th inning, it's worth 6 points... that was the high point for me.

demondenim

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10762 on: December 17, 2014, 10:56:07 AM »
I have to say, Tom's riff on Serial made me giddy-- he would have to go after this hugely popular thing in any case, during any show...but if he's going to let all of the garbage podcasters know the reckoning is really here, then he has to put his sights on that show (and I am wholly into Serial) that has elicited so so so much attention and worship...and, of course, he did it in the best way possible: acting totally confused and being totally hilarious by assuming it was a "spooooky" podcast...and tearing into the idea of "True Detective" as pocast.

So awesome.

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10763 on: December 17, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »
A highpoint for me was when he was making Fred From Honolulu Fred Zep crack up.

demondenim

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10764 on: December 17, 2014, 11:27:19 AM »
When he got that baseball know-it-all to say that if you hit a grand slam after the 15th inning, it's worth 6 points... that was the high point for me.

Yes! That was fantastic-- almost had me believing that caller was a plant. Did someone from the chat really lob that idea up to Tom (I think he mentioned that) or did he pull that out of the air? I had been bumped from the chat by then.

matthouston

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10765 on: December 17, 2014, 11:29:35 AM »
The Ringo Starr through line was terrific. I was in hysterics when Tom read the Rolling Stone article, about Starr accepting from Paul McCartney ("Sure, man"). Ditto any mention of CAVEMAN (which now I want to see).

And now we have the Return of The Best Show hate pit inductee #1.

matthouston

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10766 on: December 17, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
Follow-up after looking up CAVEMAN on wikipedia -- now I don't want to see it.

"The film's dialog is almost entirely in "caveman" language, such as:

"alunda" – love
"bobo" – friend
"haraka" – fire
"macha" – monster
"nya" – no/not
"ool" – food
"pooka" – broken
"ugh" – like
"zug zug" – sex
"kuda" – come
"caca" – feces
"ananeea" – not here
"anahui" – out to get
"gluglu" – drowned

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10767 on: December 17, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »
if I had to pick my fave moment, it's one that reminded me of "the little things" about the Best Show and it was the during and shortly after the obviously stoned caller from Vancouver: talk of Pauly Shore, "Inside Weez Ball", "here's another guy who obviously *loves* talking into a mic", and his beautiful silent GOMP after the caller stumbles during the goodbyes ("I don't wanna...I don't wanna", "Alright, then don't.").  And his take on the Serial podcast ("I'm gonna kill you-ou-ou")

Worst: a lot of drunks called in, especially bad was the baseball call after the Serial call.  Fewer things are worse than drunk baseball fans with a bone to pick.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

djtyler

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10768 on: December 17, 2014, 11:52:58 AM »
Talk of Serial and KV's call. Its always great to hear what KV and Jelloman are up to. It also made me happy that Coco was the first caller and that The Parting Gifts are making another record!

djtyler

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10769 on: December 17, 2014, 11:54:26 AM »
Talk of Serial and KV's call. Its always great to hear what KV and Jelloman are up to. It also made me happy that Coco was the first caller and that The Parting Gifts are making another record!

Meant to say these were the best moments for me. Worst parts were dud callers...