Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2900492 times)

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10845 on: January 06, 2015, 09:03:06 PM »
Sorry for your loss, Tom.

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10846 on: January 07, 2015, 12:02:34 AM »
Yes, all the best to you and your family, Tom.

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10847 on: January 07, 2015, 12:02:42 AM »
Best wishes to Tom and has family. The Best Show has gotten me through so many hard times. Thank you so much.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10848 on: January 07, 2015, 12:17:35 AM »
Condolences to you and your family, Tom.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10849 on: January 07, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »
This is so sad...really sorry for Tom. Someone in the chat said we shouldn't clog up the message board but I don't care.

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10850 on: January 07, 2015, 04:51:14 PM »
Tom's harangue of Billy Crystal was just perfection. I hadn't heard it before, nor the call from Sully, so much of last nights "best of" show felt pretty new to me and it was so great. Also hearing the baseball call from the first week of the new run gave me quite a few laughs even hearing it again.

The worst moment...yeah.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10851 on: January 08, 2015, 12:02:35 AM »
Tom's harangue of Billy Crystal was just perfection. I hadn't heard it before, nor the call from Sully, so much of last nights "best of" show felt pretty new to me and it was so great. Also hearing the baseball call from the first week of the new run gave me quite a few laughs even hearing it again.

The worst moment...yeah.

"boids"... I was waiting for Tom to say "Accent... you're losing the accent"... then again Billy Crystal is certainly no Z-Man

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10852 on: January 08, 2015, 03:12:33 AM »
In the sound collage there was a clip from a radio show or podcast that Tom appeared on and the host said something like "why is your show a phenomenon because from that clip I'm not buying it?". Anyone know what that was from?

Gregory has the details right.  You can hear the interview here; Best Show discussion (such as it is) begins around 10:10:

http://www.wnyc.org/story/sex-and-broadcasting-film-about-free-form-radio-wfmu/

It's Leonard Lopate, from WNYC in New York.  He's a big cheese on New York's NPR.  His show is very popular.  Personally, I hate his guts.  I find him intolerably pretentious, and it only makes sense that he would say something condescending about Tom and his patented brand of Hard Hat Radio.

A lot of WFMU people have day jobs at WNYC. Without revealing too much, I can say that he isn't well-liked. I kinda-didn't-hate his show (he has good guests) but hearing some of their stories ruined it for me for good.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

hk11

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10853 on: January 08, 2015, 06:41:53 AM »
Condolences and best wishes to you and your family, Tom, from someone you don't know, but from someone who cares. Seems strange writing that about someone i have never met, but it's how i feel.

I lost my dad last year and it was just..... the worst. Horrible time. The pain ebbs over time, but the good and happy memories will stay forever.

Sorry to post this here, but just wanted to pass on my respects.

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10854 on: January 12, 2015, 08:48:22 AM »

The worst moment...yeah.

"boids"... I was waiting for Tom to say "Accent... you're losing the accent"... then again Billy Crystal is certainly no Z-Man

Here is the actual video of Crystal's act put in with Tom talking about it, if you can manage to get through seeing Crystal doing it, it's really tough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIJ53t7Pgag

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10855 on: January 13, 2015, 06:40:25 PM »
The Best Show is back live tonight, according to Tom on Twitter.

mackro

« Reply #10856 on: January 14, 2015, 04:40:18 AM »
the beginning talk of the show was incredible. It was obviously difficult and emotional, but there were just enough pockets of mild comic relief in between the pauses and painful descriptions to make it amazing - albeit amazing in a way I'd never wish on anyone, obviously.

On the lighter side, the Newbridge call and the increasingly Newbridgean Jelloman(son) calls had me in giggle fits. Of course, the Mudhoney references in the former were so hilarious and awkward. The whole Best Show hashtag ideas were great too.

We all love you very much, Tom. Thank you very much for your strength in doing tonight's show. It was a great & memorable edition of the Best Show. Very excited for what's to come, and take good care.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10857 on: January 14, 2015, 09:49:01 AM »
Tom-as-a-character (even an exaggerated version of himself) calls are always great. It's good that Tom has 2 hours of the show to be the funny guy, but I always appreciate him getting to be the wacky one in the Newbridge calls, too.

"Jack from Pittsburgh" (January 28, 2003: “The Shark Tank” [1:02]) is one of my all time favorite calls, for example. He's also great as the German guy he played twice on the WFMU promo CDs and as Andy/Mayhem, the host of the GeegCast.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Mike Desert

« Reply #10858 on: January 14, 2015, 02:02:09 PM »
I lost my dad in 2014, so I appreciated Tom's opening monologue.
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

handamputation

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10859 on: January 14, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »
I lost my dad in 2014, so I appreciated Tom's opening monologue.

That intro made me stop the show and call me dad.  :-[