Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2900266 times)

John Junk

• Policemans heel
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11640 on: September 04, 2015, 01:17:32 AM »
I really really dug the Anthony Bedard/Jack Boulware/Danny Plotnick interview with Tom -- and then the alternate universe Tom-on-the-phone second half of the show!

Granted, I'm more of a music/zine guy than a film/TV guy, and this week's show was definitely heavier on the former... and I'm in the minority here on that, so of course I loved this episode.  But all three got along with Tom excellently.  I loved the Anton LaVey story, and the Stooges Wax Museum story, among many others. I missed the 2006/2007 era of the Best Show, so it was nice to catch up on how the Best Show Theme contest played out, and to hear it from the lead Theme Weaver's perspective.

Tom on the phone was great... it was like one of those "everything's opposite!" episodes, and I loved how Tom would bust the beans of Dudio and Mike even on the phone.  My favorite part of that was Tom's a cappella BadCo-ing of another call. (Sorry Adam.)  This is a no-brainer to say, but Tom is hilarious no matter how he's being beamed into the studio.

This week's show does remind me I kinda miss the more music/zine/comic based guests on the show, although I understand interviewing film/TV celebrities is what helps the Best Show the most, for obvious reasons.

I agree I really enjoyed this show. I was kinda like "Meh, I don't really know who these guys are" when I saw the names on my phone, then I was listening and realized this is the Best Show I got obsessed with years back. One of my favorite earlier shows was Tom interviewing Alan Licht, and this is sort of in that same world. Those dudes were completely fascinating to me. Reminded me of the excitement of creating stuff and being into music, etc.
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11641 on: September 04, 2015, 10:31:11 AM »
If Tom ever does have a chance to talk to Patti Smith again, I bet she won't even remember the Humble Pie incident.
Maybe she'll apologize for playing dumb.

Yeah, I met her too--not a nice lady and one of the most overrated artists ever, by the way. Whole lotta phony baloney there

Kurz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11642 on: September 06, 2015, 10:42:25 AM »
Heck of a live show, though.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11643 on: September 08, 2015, 10:32:54 AM »
I really really dug the Anthony Bedard/Jack Boulware/Danny Plotnick interview with Tom -- and then the alternate universe Tom-on-the-phone second half of the show!

Granted, I'm more of a music/zine guy than a film/TV guy, and this week's show was definitely heavier on the former... and I'm in the minority here on that, so of course I loved this episode.  But all three got along with Tom excellently.  I loved the Anton LaVey story, and the Stooges Wax Museum story, among many others. I missed the 2006/2007 era of the Best Show, so it was nice to catch up on how the Best Show Theme contest played out, and to hear it from the lead Theme Weaver's perspective.

Tom on the phone was great... it was like one of those "everything's opposite!" episodes, and I loved how Tom would bust the beans of Dudio and Mike even on the phone.  My favorite part of that was Tom's a cappella BadCo-ing of another call. (Sorry Adam.)  This is a no-brainer to say, but Tom is hilarious no matter how he's being beamed into the studio.

This week's show does remind me I kinda miss the more music/zine/comic based guests on the show, although I understand interviewing film/TV celebrities is what helps the Best Show the most, for obvious reasons.

I agree I really enjoyed this show. I was kinda like "Meh, I don't really know who these guys are" when I saw the names on my phone, then I was listening and realized this is the Best Show I got obsessed with years back. One of my favorite earlier shows was Tom interviewing Alan Licht, and this is sort of in that same world. Those dudes were completely fascinating to me. Reminded me of the excitement of creating stuff and being into music, etc.

Yes, that guy from the SF Weekly was a hell of a storyteller.  Anton LaVey's fashion shoot.  The faux Randy Meisner story was fascinating and hilarious. Great guests; great show.

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11644 on: September 08, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
The Randy Meisner impersonator has 'award winning documentary' written all over it....that was just awesome. Loved the custom shop guitar makers going crazy after hearing the he pawned his axe(s).

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11645 on: September 09, 2015, 07:03:02 PM »
I thought I remembered there being video of the show at Matador 21 that Tom and Damien Abraham were talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T99aYYmJFs

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11646 on: September 09, 2015, 08:50:40 PM »
I thought I remembered there being video of the show at Matador 21 that Tom and Damien Abraham were talking about:

How come there isn't any videos on YouTube of the shows Tom and Jon have been doing for the last year?

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #11647 on: September 09, 2015, 09:02:29 PM »

How come there isn't any videos on YouTube of the shows Tom and Jon have been doing for the last year?

Because we think it's 1983. What's YouTube?

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11648 on: September 10, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »

Not sure if everyone else is thinking the same way, but for me there were a two reasons why I didn't do any video recording of the show I saw:

1) Didn't want to be the guy holding up his phone or camera for most of the show, or even for more than a little bit. I wanted to stand there and take it in.

2) Tom and Jon didn't give any warnings about not recording, but I don't know how they'd feel about someone recording a bit from the show and then putting it on YouTube. I don't think that anyone who already wanted to go to the show would pass up a chance because they saw some of an old show online, but it's still a little iffy to me.

mostlymeat

« Reply #11649 on: September 10, 2015, 07:23:36 PM »

Not sure if everyone else is thinking the same way, but for me there were a two reasons why I didn't do any video recording of the show I saw:

1) Didn't want to be the guy holding up his phone or camera for most of the show, or even for more than a little bit. I wanted to stand there and take it in.

2) Tom and Jon didn't give any warnings about not recording, but I don't know how they'd feel about someone recording a bit from the show and then putting it on YouTube. I don't think that anyone who already wanted to go to the show would pass up a chance because they saw some of an old show online, but it's still a little iffy to me.

It was pretty cool to look around and NOT see a sea of cellphones held aloft, making this show the rare event when that sort of thing doesn't happen. It's a testament to the intelligence of the FOT's who believe in THE MOMENT!

Don't sleep on these shows Toronto, Boston, Philly! I've seen it 8 times now and it gets better and better every time!

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11650 on: September 10, 2015, 10:05:22 PM »
I did sneak a few photos (as seen in the Gathering of the FOTs forum), but I saw that there was almost no one taking photos when I did, so it made me even more self conscious about it.

Patrickin Chicago

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11651 on: September 10, 2015, 10:53:08 PM »
The expansion of Staten Island Garbage Rats into a fictional reality show about people sifting through cultural ephemera in an implied post apocalyptic world intrigued the hell out of me. It feels like something that would work in a 15 minute Adult Swim kind of format.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11652 on: September 11, 2015, 12:31:29 PM »
Watched Two Step and it's great.  The main bad guy especially- really one of the most repellant characters ever from the moment he appears on screen. 

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #11653 on: September 11, 2015, 02:37:46 PM »
Watched Two Step and it's great.  The main bad guy especially- really one of the most repellant characters ever from the moment he appears on screen.

Where did you find it? It's not on Optimum On Demand.
See God, Kai

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11654 on: September 11, 2015, 07:16:47 PM »
The expansion of Staten Island Garbage Rats into a fictional reality show about people sifting through cultural ephemera in an implied post apocalyptic world intrigued the hell out of me. It feels like something that would work in a 15 minute Adult Swim kind of format.

Tom imagining Mike and Cuddles digging through trash, and Cuddles lifting something up and Mike saying "Oh my god" then cut to commercial was just perfect. Exactly how it would be on the show.

On the subject of Storage Wars, there's a Mexican restaurant that I like to go to. It's one of those places that customers bring their photos of themselves on vacation in and they put them up on the wall, and there are some photos of a few celebrities eating in there also stuck up on the wall. One of the "celebrities" put up is Jarrod from Storage Wars.