Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818693 times)

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #12135 on: November 09, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »
listening to last night's rerun. I'd never heard that California RHCP song. So bad and hilarious!
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

norfolk

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12136 on: November 09, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »
Best Show 2006 was brilliant!

But I had my suspicions what was about to happen after realizing that the piano theme with Captain Jack edited out it was anachronistic! Uh, not to brag.

Holy cow! I'm two hours in and had no idea until I read this!

I'd forgotten all about "The Long Walk," Steinberg was awesome, as was Terre T talking about how Tom and Michael K should hang out.

Wes

« Reply #12137 on: November 09, 2016, 06:43:16 PM »
This is one of the greatest things the Show has ever done. I've been listening live since right around the time in question, and I'm glad I've never stopped, because it was that much more rewarding.

And to do it knowing people weren't going to appreciate it right away?

Damn. You're my hero, Tom.
This may be the year I will disappear.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12138 on: November 09, 2016, 11:36:34 PM »
Only about halfway through, but love the RHCP talk.  One of the first Best Shows I ever heard had Tom doing hilarious stuff about the Kiedis autobio.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12139 on: November 09, 2016, 11:54:03 PM »
Only about halfway through, but love the RHCP talk.  One of the first Best Shows I ever heard had Tom doing hilarious stuff about the Kiedis autobio.

I could have sworn Ive heard this episode, maybe he's talked about that album on more than one occasion.

kouzie

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12140 on: November 10, 2016, 07:04:28 AM »
This is one of the greatest things the Show has ever done. I've been listening live since right around the time in question, and I'm glad I've never stopped, because it was that much more rewarding.

And to do it knowing people weren't going to appreciate it right away?

Damn. You're my hero, Tom.
Yes to everything you said. Yes. Yes. Yes. Tom is simply operating on a higher plane. At least we all here appreciate it.

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12141 on: November 10, 2016, 03:47:22 PM »
Each time I say it, it continues to be true: This week's show was some next-level sh*t.

cteix

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12142 on: November 10, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »
I feel kind of gullible because I thought it was real for so long. I was looking up to see what happened with the swear words, if Tom actually got fined or what. Those performances were incredible. I was truly embarrassed for the woman calling about Yo Mama. And the way Tom was feeling sorry for insulting her but ended up just prolonging the agony of the call. And I don't know who MC Steinberg is but that was so much like the kind of caller who might have been a regular at that time (I've only listened to full shows since about 2011 but I heard some from 2001). And how slowly it started until the bit about RHCP.

Tom said he crashed on his way home from the studio. But that can't have been done live? It was truly amazing. So ambitious. Seriously one of the greatest things I have ever heard. I want to know every detail of how that was created.

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12143 on: November 10, 2016, 07:57:56 PM »
Listened in an hour late and kind of tipsy live. Caught the full thing as a podcast today. Best episode ever. So surreal. The ending was glorious and it made me want more.

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12144 on: November 10, 2016, 08:01:03 PM »
Did Tom meet Pat in the garage?

I both want to know the narrative and also want to leave it to my imagination.

Pete dC

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12145 on: November 11, 2016, 09:02:21 AM »
Loved this episode  :)  - what a total surprise. Couldn't believe what I was hearing.

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12146 on: November 11, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
Listening to it again today.  Even more glorious and unreal the second time around.

vinylboy20

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12147 on: November 11, 2016, 12:35:55 PM »
I had my suspicions initially, checked the WFMU playlists and saw that that date really wasn't uploaded. I heard those old theme songs and just went with it. I was like, "Hey, Pat's first call!"

Then about an hour in, when Dave Navarro and Celebrity Apprentice were mentioned... oh my god, I finally got it... Brilliant

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12148 on: November 12, 2016, 01:37:32 PM »
"What's your call screener's name?"

"Mike."

"Should he come too?"

"Nnnnnnnnnnno."

That just made me legitimately spit take. I thought The Best Show was funny before but this is on a whole other level.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

mackro

« Reply #12149 on: November 12, 2016, 08:46:16 PM »
I was fooled the entire time (until the Frankie Teardrop faded in as a gutting coda.)  I was paying attention to election coverage (sigh) at the same time, so I missed the subtle clues that this was a simulation of an old episode.

I looked up Best Show Gems later, and there is one for that date, but with a different Newbridge character, so that's how I confirmed it.

Great episode, OBVIOUSLY, because I didn't think it was simulated until the day after.