Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 920745 times)

Pidgeon

Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #2430 on: March 21, 2011, 01:03:20 AM »
Yeah, you get to keep in contact with old friends. It's inexcusable.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2431 on: March 21, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »
I guess all us sheeple are just slaves to Facebook.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2432 on: March 21, 2011, 11:30:13 AM »
We are also slaves to the printing press and the email.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Sarah

« Reply #2433 on: March 21, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »
I am a slave to breathing.  Also eating, drinking, and evacuation.  The grind of it all is getting me down.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2434 on: March 21, 2011, 12:59:30 PM »
Defending Facebook usage is like defending the banks, the military/industrial complex, or the ny yankees.

Hahaha!

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2435 on: March 21, 2011, 01:34:26 PM »
I just wish that Facebook, Twitter, etc, were built along the decentralized, federated model of "classic Internet" things like the web and email.  It troubles me that single companies are becoming the custodians of so much data about people's relationships.  There are already plenty of points of control on the Internet (ICANN, oligopolistic ISPs, registrars, etc) and it would be nice if we didn't keep adding more.  Most of the applications which made the Internet take off were developed without a commercial motive, but social networks' main concern now is turning eyeballs into revenue rather than sustainably adding to the architecture of the net.

As for the addictive aspects people complain about, who cares?  I have a Facebook account (so people can get in touch with me) but barely use it.  That part of it is entirely within each person's control.

Pidgeon

« Reply #2436 on: March 21, 2011, 01:44:06 PM »
Thank you, yesno.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2437 on: March 21, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
I just wish that Facebook, Twitter, etc, were built along the decentralized, federated model of "classic Internet" things like the web and email.  It troubles me that single companies are becoming the custodians of so much data about people's relationships.  There are already plenty of points of control on the Internet (ICANN, oligopolistic ISPs, registrars, etc) and it would be nice if we didn't keep adding more.  Most of the applications which made the Internet take off were developed without a commercial motive, but social networks' main concern now is turning eyeballs into revenue rather than sustainably adding to the architecture of the net.

As for the addictive aspects people complain about, who cares?  I have a Facebook account (so people can get in touch with me) but barely use it.  That part of it is entirely within each person's control.

I agree with your point about decentralization, yesno, but after I signed up for an Identi.ca account I only used it a couple times, so I'm not really helping the cause.

All these sites really are about data gathering, analyzing, and selling. Not necessarily intrinsically evil, just creepy. I've heard it said that 'if the service is free, then you're the product being sold'.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2438 on: March 22, 2011, 05:37:52 PM »
the fear that once Tom finally ends the show a lot of people are going to just abandon WFMU.

I keep seeing all these people, twitter mostly, complaining about how they still haven't gotten last years premium and shit. is that really why people donate to WFMU? to get some swag? that kinda grosses me out. Maybe it's because I was a long time listener to WMFU before happening upon the Best Show but it bugs me that keeping WFMU on the air isn't enough incentive for people.

I'm not trying to come off self-righteous, I'm totally excited for the swag as everyone is, and obviously there are FOT's who are WAY more involved in the station than I am and can afford to donate a lot more money than I did, I just don't think premiums should dictate whether or not you support WFMU.

I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2439 on: March 22, 2011, 08:47:53 PM »
the fear that once Tom finally ends the show a lot of people are going to just abandon WFMU.

I keep seeing all these people, twitter mostly, complaining about how they still haven't gotten last years premium and shit. is that really why people donate to WFMU? to get some swag? that kinda grosses me out. Maybe it's because I was a long time listener to WMFU before happening upon the Best Show but it bugs me that keeping WFMU on the air isn't enough incentive for people.

I'm not trying to come off self-righteous, I'm totally excited for the swag as everyone is, and obviously there are FOT's who are WAY more involved in the station than I am and can afford to donate a lot more money than I did, I just don't think premiums should dictate whether or not you support WFMU.

Where's the "like" button?

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2440 on: March 23, 2011, 10:59:57 AM »
I was not sure whether to put this under stuff I love or stuff I hate, because I love Achewood and I hate that it is on "indefinite hiatus."

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/03/21/chris-onstad-achewood-hiatus-interview/
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2441 on: March 23, 2011, 11:10:40 AM »
We are also slaves to the printing press and the email.

I have lost contact with good friends from highschool who don't have Facebook, and ignited friendships with people I wasn't friends with in highschool who do have Facebook.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2442 on: March 23, 2011, 01:13:28 PM »
I was not sure whether to put this under stuff I love or stuff I hate, because I love Achewood and I hate that it is on "indefinite hiatus."

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/03/21/chris-onstad-achewood-hiatus-interview/

That has been coming for a while. Updates were getting more and more sporadic. I'd agree that I hate that it's on hiatus - it's been a favorite of mine for a long time. I even have 2 servers named 'beef' and 'ray' here.

Pidgeon

« Reply #2443 on: March 24, 2011, 10:15:06 PM »
Something that's made me cringe since I was a kid is when my parents mockingly imitate other languages (usually Spanish or Chinese).

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2444 on: March 25, 2011, 10:06:34 PM »
Keith Morrison.