Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 911877 times)

cutout

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #2700 on: October 27, 2011, 01:02:49 PM »
I bet someone in the ad department's first impulse was to make him say "Play some Snoop Dogg" or something and then someone else chimed in that that was offensive and tried to class it up with a Coltrane reference. If you've worked in advertising, you've heard these conversations.

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2701 on: October 27, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »
I bet someone in the ad department's first impulse was to make him say "Play some Snoop Dogg" or something and then someone else chimed in that that was offensive and tried to class it up with a Coltrane reference. If you've worked in advertising, you've heard these conversations.

Perhaps, but if he said, "The Eagles," many people watching would have said "The Eagles?!" and some would have even posted on message boards about it.  I'm genuinely curious as to what kind of music an African American actor should ask for in a commercial.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2702 on: October 27, 2011, 01:54:29 PM »
... Heuristics (as opposed to algorithms) are the predominant decision-making tool of humans...

NERD!  Logic Nerd!  Drop and give me 20.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #2703 on: October 27, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »

Perhaps, but if he said, "The Eagles," many people watching would have said "The Eagles?!" and some would have even posted on message boards about it.  I'm genuinely curious as to what kind of music an African American actor should ask for in a commercial.

Lady Gaga. Something "everyone" likes.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #2704 on: October 27, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »
Again, a similarly positioned white actor could have said Coltrane, Madonna, The Beatles, or Beethoven, and none of those choices would have been deemed stereotypical or inappropriate. 

Which artist would have been more acceptable for the African American actor to say?

It's hard to say, I don't know any black people.

Maybe Assück?

KickTheBobo

« Reply #2705 on: October 27, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »

I always associate Apple products with bands like The Arcade Fire or LCD Soundsystem, but since it's a mass-market commercial maybe something like REM, U2 or the Stones.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2706 on: October 27, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
I don't know much about them, but I hear tell of a band called the "Texas N's."  Would they be good for this?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2707 on: October 27, 2011, 03:01:17 PM »

Lady Gaga. Something "everyone" likes.

EXACTLY. Or Carcass.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Stan

« Reply #2708 on: October 27, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »
I'm genuinely curious as to what kind of music an African American actor should ask for in a commercial.

Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand (Live Knebworth 1979)
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2709 on: October 27, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »
Again, a similarly positioned white actor could have said Coltrane, Madonna, The Beatles, or Beethoven, and none of those choices would have been deemed stereotypical or inappropriate. 

Which artist would have been more acceptable for the African American actor to say?

Big Head Todd & The Monsters
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2710 on: October 27, 2011, 05:27:17 PM »
I'm enjoying this conversation.

Is John Coltrane such an obscurity in our culture now that even the mention of his name in a commercial annoys people? That's sad.
See God, Kai

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2711 on: October 27, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »
Women be shoppin!

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2712 on: October 27, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »
I specifically remember seeing another commercial where a young professional black man sat down in his house "to listen to some Coltrane."  It aired all the time maybe 10 or 12 years ago.  If anyone can point me to this commercial I'd be grateful.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2713 on: October 27, 2011, 06:50:09 PM »
I really do think that it's sometimes easy to assign negative motives when they just don't exist (i'm terrible about this). With the snoop dog-> Coltrane scenario, it's just as likely that they said "we need this guy to throw a name out that is obscure enough to the mainstream that it sounds cool but it's recognizable". Similar scenario, way less hateful, still just as annoying.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2714 on: October 27, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »
Also, I hate that Patrice O'Neal had a stroke and that it's so hard to find out how severe it was (it sounds bad.)
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time