Author Topic: The Real World Brooklyn has first transgendered member  (Read 20172 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: The Real World Brooklyn has first transgendered member
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 05:20:19 PM »
That this American life with the dude that was a chick who took enough testosterone to supply the UCLA football team was pretty interesting.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 08:26:08 PM »
tyranny of the tranny

Nice work, Sarah.

Trembling Eagle

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 10:07:54 PM »
Transgenders are probably the most underrepresented group in our society.  We all need to work through our respective ignorances and/or prejudices, but I would say it's simplistic to attribute a hypothetical man's discomfort with sleeping with a transgendered woman being based solely on his own sexism, just even considering how many issues and anxieties people have with "normal" sexual partnerings.  I mean, if you run away screaming then that's horrible, but on the other hand some guys don't like redheads and they don't go for chicks that used to have penises, it's a free country.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 10:40:19 PM »
J.D., 22 – Miami Beach, FL
. . . and became one of the youngest dolphin trainers at Miami Seaquarium at the tender age of 19. He continues to live wholeheartedly by the motto “work hard, to play hard.”

I'd like to hear what someone who worked at this house of horrors has to say. The Miami Seaquarium has to be one of the most depressing places in our great nation; where else can you see a 22' long orca in a decrepit 28' wide x 68' long x 20' deep tank dating from 1978?
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Sarah

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2008, 07:04:07 AM »
OK, are we agreeing that women have distinct social-political interests in our society and in the greater world? Reproductive rights, economic parity etc..

Sure. 

I would say it's simplistic to attribute a hypothetical man's discomfort with sleeping with a transgendered woman being based solely on his own sexism.

Of course it is.  And no one said that.  Homophobia, sexism, and human beings' innate hatred and fear of what's different account for it.

chrisfoll577

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2008, 12:35:32 PM »

I would say it's simplistic to attribute a hypothetical man's discomfort with sleeping with a transgendered woman being based solely on his own sexism.

Of course it is.  And no one said that.  Homophobia, sexism, and human beings' innate hatred and fear of what's different account for it.

If there's a relationship between a man and a transgendered woman, that's awesome, and good for them if they are happy together. 

But if it makes me homophobic, sexist and hateful by your standards to want to be in a relationship with someone who was born a woman, then I guess I'm fine with those labels.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »
I think any guy who doesn't go out of his way to have sex with as many she-males as possible is a total bigot and a jerk.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Sarah

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2008, 01:16:13 PM »
Now, now, Jasong.  Don't be silly.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »
I'm no Freud, but aren't young boys kinda terrified by regular, non-former-penis vaginas when they first encounter them, and then must work through their mix of terror and desire to achieve a kind of harmonious adult balance where they accept female genitalia as natural and not a scary monster that wants to eat their penis? I guess that would go under the innate fear and hatred column.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2008, 01:49:23 PM »

But if it makes me homophobic, sexist and hateful by your standards to want to be in a relationship with someone who was born a woman, then I guess I'm fine with those labels.

even though I disagree with Sarah about this subject, I can tell you this is not what she's saying.

I'm more on your side but I did a little thought experiment with your statement: I substituted the gender for race/ethnicity and played it out:

if it makes me hateful by your standards to want to be in a relationship with someone who was born (white, black, christian, jewish, any word u want here) then I guess I'm fine with those labels.

Which, mind u, is still a valid statement to make but wouldn't those words sound odd as hell coming out of anyones mouth? "Well I wanted to date her, but come to find out she was born Hindu!"

I think on the far end of progressive thought race and gender are both thought of as mostly social constructs. Differences that are real because we make them real. For instance biologically the size and strength difference between male and female humans should only be like 3-4% but out in the world we see those differences exaggerated by social factors.

I can see the bias but like you the status-quo is more comfortable for me, if the concept of gender is mostly in our heads
I'm happy with it and anything that threatens to tear down or breech that wall makes he hella uneasy, queasy even. Perhaps (most likely) further into the future more advanced humans will have a completely different take on gender.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 02:10:27 PM »
I want to clarify what i was saying before had nothing to do with saying "if you don't want to have sex with a trans person you are a homophobe"

what I, and i think Sarah too, was trying to say was alot of man are prejudiced against trans women because, as evidenced by where this thread has gone, they immediately jump to "what if i had to have sex with her, she used to be a guy thats gross" rather than treating them like a real person. I think that attitude is a sexist and homophobic one.

I didn't really want to bring this up, but the reason i feel strongly about this is that one of my good friends in a transgender woman and I've witnessed tons of guys who meet her, thinks she's cool and want to be friends with her until they find out shes trans and then they get all weird. I know it's because they all had some kind of attraction to her, even if its just thinking "she's pretty cute" or something and now feel guilty or scared or whatever because they think it makes them gay.

the likelihood that they would ever get into a sexual situation with her is one in a million but they are still assholes about it.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Sarah

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 03:15:01 PM »
I'm both too weary and too impatient to say much more in this thread, so I'm very grateful that I have the two of you, Trembling Eagle and Colin, to make these points for me.  You're doing a much better job than I could manage, and I thank you very much.  And I'm not being facetious.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 03:53:49 PM »
you're welcome Sarah.

I also have said all I can say really, take it or leave it. I'm not trying to get into an argument with anyone.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »
you're welcome Sarah.

I also have said all I can say really, take it or leave it. I'm not trying to get into an argument with anyone.

take your ball and go home huh?