Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703640 times)

danner

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #855 on: April 30, 2012, 02:04:43 PM »
The Wayne Coyne episode is set to drop Thursday. Should be interesting.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #856 on: April 30, 2012, 02:50:09 PM »
The Wayne Coyne episode is set to drop Thursday. Should be interesting.

I hope it's better than the James Mercer one. It never felt like those two really connected.

The Zmuda episode actually made me want to re-listen to the Ron Shock episode, which I remember being similar.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #857 on: April 30, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »
Oh, Man.  This Zmuda is killin.'
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #858 on: April 30, 2012, 07:58:34 PM »
The Bob Zmuda interview is one of the Top 5 WTFs.

If you read his book it's a lot of the same stories, but I still loved it. Like how we'd go minutes at a time w/o Marc saying anything but "C'mon..." I also love how Bob stuck to the old pro wrestling philosophy known as "kayfabe" when talking about Tony Clifton and Andy's death. I think we all know the truth, but it's more fun to have some doubt.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #859 on: April 30, 2012, 10:00:43 PM »

If you read his book it's a lot of the same stories, but I still loved it. Like how we'd go minutes at a time w/o Marc saying anything but "C'mon..." I also love how Bob stuck to the old pro wrestling philosophy known as "kayfabe" when talking about Tony Clifton and Andy's death. I think we all know the truth, but it's more fun to have some doubt.

I haven't read the book. Is it worth reading after listening to the interview? That Norman Wexler in the bakery story was SO good.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #860 on: April 30, 2012, 10:51:34 PM »
I haven't read the book. Is it worth reading after listening to the interview? That Norman Wexler in the bakery story was SO good.

Noticed this on Norman Wexler's IMDB page:

***STARmeter: Up 700% in popularity this week. See why on IMDbPro.***

I think we know why.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #861 on: April 30, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »

He covers a lot of the same ground as he does in the interview, but if you're prepared for that I'd say it's worth reading.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #862 on: May 01, 2012, 12:17:39 AM »

Noticed this on Norman Wexler's IMDB page:

***STARmeter: Up 700% in popularity this week. See why on IMDbPro.***

I think we know why.

That is fantastic.  I agree, it was an epic episode.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #863 on: May 01, 2012, 10:01:10 AM »

He covers a lot of the same ground as he does in the interview, but if you're prepared for that I'd say it's worth reading.

I read the book sometime ago and would agree it's worth checking out. I also very much enjoyed the interview even though I had heard many of those stories in the book.

Now on the topic of the movie, though, it had some great moments, but the montage where they used the actual cast members from Taxi as themselves has always stuck with me, and not in a good way. Although maybe that was a clever call back to the 'here's one of the girls from the 'The Spurs Go Jingle Jangle Jingle' re-enacting her role in the film clip'. OK, now I guess it was brilliant. Well done.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #864 on: May 02, 2012, 08:08:39 PM »

I read the book sometime ago and would agree it's worth checking out. I also very much enjoyed the interview even though I had heard many of those stories in the book.

Now on the topic of the movie, though, it had some great moments, but the montage where they used the actual cast members from Taxi as themselves has always stuck with me, and not in a good way. Although maybe that was a clever call back to the 'here's one of the girls from the 'The Spurs Go Jingle Jangle Jingle' re-enacting her role in the film clip'. OK, now I guess it was brilliant. Well done.

It just bugged me that Danny Devito wsn't there because he was playing another character in the movie. It would seem to imply that in the Man On the Moon-verse there are two guys who look exactly like Danny Devito.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #865 on: May 03, 2012, 12:22:23 AM »

It just bugged me that Danny Devito wsn't there because he was playing another character in the movie. It would seem to imply that in the Man On the Moon-verse there are two guys who look exactly like Danny Devito.

Thank you for coining the term "Man-in-the-Moon-verse."  Off to write some fanfic!
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #866 on: May 04, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »

And I would put the Chelsea Handler diametrically the opposite of the Zmuda one.  Horrible.  Maron's got nothing to do with why it's bad, either. 

I was looking forward to this, too, for some reason. 

Ugh.

Agree.

Chelsea made me want to retch, while Zmuda made me want to cheer.
"Is this me?"

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #867 on: May 04, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »

[/quote]

I agree the Zmuda episode was great, so many awesome stories, but it was so annoying how he kept whispering the whole time.

I watched the "Andy at Carnegie Hall" movie on youtube afterwards and was surprised by how low budget it was - when you hear "concert at Carnegie Hall" you imagine high production values and a real big show but this was just Andy and a band and some folding chairs (?) on stage? I was also disappointed that the Rockettes were edited out of the movie for some reason.

Also Andys "I Come From Hollywood" movie is really great if you haven't seen it, it's all about his wrestling career.

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #868 on: May 04, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »

And I would put the Chelsea Handler diametrically the opposite of the Zmuda one.  Horrible.  Maron's got nothing to do with why it's bad, either. 

I was looking forward to this, too, for some reason. 

Ugh.

Agree.

Agreed. I love how she got indignant and started saying stuff like "I don't believe in sexism; men and women are equals..." RIGHT in the middle of complaining about how people were spreading rumors about her sleeping with the head of the network. Um....duh.

She just seems like an extremely unlikable, unfunny person. Her appeal is a complete mystery to me.

The Wayne Coyne episode, however, was fantastic.
LN5OG

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #869 on: May 04, 2012, 11:02:45 PM »

I agree the Zmuda episode was great, so many awesome stories, but it was so annoying how he kept whispering the whole time.

I watched the "Andy at Carnegie Hall" movie on youtube afterwards and was surprised by how low budget it was - when you hear "concert at Carnegie Hall" you imagine high production values and a real big show but this was just Andy and a band and some folding chairs (?) on stage? I was also disappointed that the Rockettes were edited out of the movie for some reason.

Also Andys "I Come From Hollywood" movie is really great if you haven't seen it, it's all about his wrestling career.
[/quote]

As a wrestling fan the very idea of a lifelong fan using his celebrity to go and become a heel wrestler in Memphis TN is pretty much the greatest thing ever.