Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2819272 times)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8625 on: June 01, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
Say what you will about the Band, at least they didn't fill their lyrics with occult gobbledygook (that shit might seem cool when you're a kid, but it's the most embarrassing thing in the world once you're past 18). As a fan of Led Zeppelin, I can't even defend that.

Not a huge Queen fan. Less so after hearing the Greggulator's "hilarious" anecdote.

Also, there's lots of humor in The Basement Tapes and Steely Dan. What are you guys talking about?!
See God, Kai

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8626 on: June 01, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
The band "fun."

Not that much fun.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8627 on: June 01, 2012, 01:34:47 PM »
Say what you will about the Band, at least they didn't fill their lyrics with occult gobbledygook (that shit might seem cool when you're a kid, but it's the most embarrassing thing in the world once you're past 18). As a fan of Led Zeppelin, I can't even defend that.

Not a huge Queen fan. Less so after hearing the Greggulator's "hilarious" anecdote.

Also, there's lots of humor in The Basement Tapes and Steely Dan. What are you guys talking about?!

Steely Dan has always had a very, very sly sense of humor. I like them quite a bit, but they've always struck me as a band that's too self-consciously esoteric for its own good. I kind of look at them as the musical equivalent of a New Yorker cartoon.

And "Odds and Ends" off The Basement Tapes is about as rollicking a song as you'll find.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8628 on: June 01, 2012, 01:44:43 PM »

This post reminds me of this guy who used to post over on Kevin Smith's board.  I wonder what happened to him.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8629 on: June 01, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Actually I am a Steely Dan fan. Always saw them as cleverly hiding some heavy topics inside some seemingly upbeat and/or lightweight sounding songs but don't really think of that as them being the laugh factory. Donald Fagen and Walter Becker can be funny in interviews, though. And 'New Frontier' and 'IGY' by Fagen are funny in a way.

And yeh, the whole thing w/ Queen and Van Halen and etc. playing little people for laughs: not as bad as dwarf-tossing, but not cool.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8630 on: June 01, 2012, 01:57:08 PM »

I like them quite a bit, but they've always struck me as a band that's too self-consciously esoteric for its own good. I kind of look at them as the musical equivalent of a New Yorker cartoon.

I agree with this 100%.  I liked the Yacht Rock version of Donald Fagen, who literally could not produce one word that could be understood by anyone else.

I'm a casual fan of Steely Dan, inasmuch as I like Decade (with the strong exceptions of "Bad Sneakers" and "East St. Louis Toodle-oo") and don't particularly like Two Against Nature, which I somehow acquired.

I like the other bands being discussed here to varying degrees.  I make a little fun of John Fogerty for being off-putting, but that has never stopped me from appreciating Creedence. 

Unfortunately, my exposure to almost all of these bands (even Queen) came through a sad mid-80s sojourn into classic rock radio - hey, Raleigh only had about three pop/rock stations, then.  And WXYC back then was overrated - it's not like all they played was Sonic Youth and Superchunk.  They took "eclectic" seriously enough to remind me of Charles R. Martin's later devotion to Ethiopian Groove vinyl and Greek rebetica.

vicd

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8631 on: June 01, 2012, 02:01:27 PM »

I like them quite a bit, but they've always struck me as a band that's too self-consciously esoteric for its own good. I kind of look at them as the musical equivalent of a New Yorker cartoon.

I agree with this 100%.  I liked the Yacht Rock version of Donald Fagen, who literally could not produce one word that could be understood by anyone else.

I'm a casual fan of Steely Dan, inasmuch as I like Decade (with the strong exceptions of "Bad Sneakers" and "East St. Louis Toodle-oo") and don't particularly like Two Against Nature, which I somehow acquired.

I like the other bands being discussed here to varying degrees.  I make a little fun of John Fogerty for being off-putting, but that has never stopped me from appreciating Creedence. 

Unfortunately, my exposure to almost all of these bands (even Queen) came through a sad mid-80s sojourn into classic rock radio - hey, Raleigh only had about three pop/rock stations, then.  And WXYC back then was overrated - it's not like all they played was Sonic Youth and Superchunk.  They took "eclectic" seriously enough to remind me of Charles R. Martin's later devotion to Ethiopian Groove vinyl and Greek rebetica.
My version of hell, Thurston Moore and Robbie Robertson talking music...

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8632 on: June 01, 2012, 02:20:24 PM »
I like all of the bands everyone has declared fun or not fun thus far in this conversation.  Which group will stone me as a heretic first?

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8633 on: June 01, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
The whole concept of Steely Dan is funny to me: an adult contemporary/smooth jazz band named after a dildo from a William Burroughs novel that sings songs about drinking scotch whiskey all night long and dying behind the wheel and gets played on every Light FM station in the world! Very subtle. Very subversive. Still one of the greatest gags ever!
See God, Kai

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8634 on: June 01, 2012, 02:27:51 PM »
The whole concept of Steely Dan is funny to me: an adult contemporary/smooth jazz band named after a dildo from a William Burroughs novel that sings songs about drinking scotch whiskey all night long and dying behind the wheel and gets played on every Light FM station in the world! Very subtle. Very subversive. Still one of the greatest gags ever!

I love to hear them come on when I'm in the dentist's chair.

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8635 on: June 01, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »
A friend of mine was driving around the Hollywood hills stoned one time and they saw Fogarty out jogging.  My friend yelled out the window "Fuck yeah, Fogarty!" and Fogarty responded "Fuck yeah brother!" and threw up the devilhorns.  Pretty fun!

vicd

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8636 on: June 01, 2012, 02:30:01 PM »
A friend of mine was driving around the Hollywood hills stoned one time and they saw Fogarty out jogging.  My friend yelled out the window "Fuck yeah, Fogarty!" and Fogarty responded "Fuck yeah brother!" and threw up the devilhorns.  Pretty fun!
Well that's because your friend wasn't a member of Fogerty's family. :)

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8637 on: June 01, 2012, 02:40:01 PM »
[]

This post reminds me of this guy who used to post over on Kevin Smith's board.  I wonder what happened to him.

He was in a movie (or two)!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8638 on: June 01, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »
Check.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8639 on: June 01, 2012, 03:03:12 PM »

Wait a minute, it's not 'dine behind the wheel'?