Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810579 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9105 on: September 05, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »
I loved the talk about Mike's karaoke performances. 'Now you're....messin' with....a sonovaBITCH!'

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9106 on: September 05, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »
One of those only on the Best Show/only from Tom moments that never get enough credit: the brief but fantastic part of last night's show where Tom somehow ended up doing an impression of Frank Sinatra grudgingly signing up for Twitter and composing his "they forced me to do this!" debut tweets.
This may be the year I will disappear.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9107 on: September 05, 2012, 04:20:41 PM »
On that note, Dan Clowes' Twitter bio may as well just say 'as a matter of fact, I am too good for this s***'

'The official Daniel Clowes Twitter thing. Though please do not be mistaken, these posts are not from the cartoonist Daniel Clowes as he is busy making comics.'

https://twitter.com/danielclowes

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9108 on: September 05, 2012, 07:28:27 PM »
Sesame Street is strictly for children. The sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be.

You're dead wrong on that one.  Sorry, but that's just a view people have who look down on stuff, like Mike with comics being just for kids.  So much in our world, including entertainment, can be multi-generational, if that's the appropriate word.  Most of what Jim Henson did was never specifically intended just for kids, and it's an unfortunate misconception that's spread.  One of the pilots for The Muppet Show was subtitled "Sex & Violence".  Not that there's anything wrong with entertainment aimed strictly at children, but writing off The Muppets, EVEN Sesame Street, as such is just unfair.

-Zach

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9109 on: September 05, 2012, 07:42:44 PM »
- How the Antique Phonograph show went long and Tom waited out the record hiss longer than he usually does, before coming on to say "your buddy" Tom is back. After two weeks without him and not being sure he'd be back tonight, the anticipation was killing me and it paid off.

- How flustered Rob Delaney was by Comedians Are Nuts (and how Comedians Are Nuts seems to have an infinite number of theme songs [and how they're all so long]).

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9110 on: September 06, 2012, 05:47:25 PM »
If the #DylanSucks hashtag had existed back in the 60s, the world would've been deprived of such gems as "Street Legal" and "Infidels." Also, Tom's "Nashville Skyline" voice was spot on.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #9111 on: September 06, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »
One of those only on the Best Show/only from Tom moments that never get enough credit: the brief but fantastic part of last night's show where Tom somehow ended up doing an impression of Frank Sinatra grudgingly signing up for Twitter and composing his "they forced me to do this!" debut tweets.

Agreed totally on this one. It's like there are various little tidbits like this spinning in Tom's head like the wheels on a slot machine & sometimes the wheels come to a stop, and sometimes he happens to be on the air - there was a similar one I remember from a while ago - last yr? where he was wondering how Chuck Barry would've managed to indulge his hidden bathroom camera predilection in the '50s, what with those car-sized video cameras and all.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9112 on: September 06, 2012, 09:50:04 PM »
If the #DylanSucks hashtag had existed back in the 60s, the world would've been deprived of such gems as "Street Legal" and "Infidels." Also, Tom's "Nashville Skyline" voice was spot on.

Hey, I LOVE Street Legal. I listened to it twice this summer.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9113 on: September 06, 2012, 11:55:58 PM »
Re: Dylan's Nashville Skyline voice, a strange fact of which only deep-in-the-weeds Dylan completists (I'm kinda one) are aware is that among the very earliest recordings known of Dylan singing folk material--I mean at like age 17 or 18--there are a couple on which his voice is uncannily Nashville-Skyline-ish.  Very quickly thereafter he starts imitating Woody Guthrie and thus begins the evolution with which most people are more familiar. (Then on one of the unreleased Basement Tapes recordings, same thing.) Not that this would have changed anything Tom said--I've seen a few d-i-t-w D c's comment on this but nobody knows what the hell to make of it.  Nobody believes cigarettes were the secret factor.

This post has been brought to you by Pedantica, Inc.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9114 on: September 07, 2012, 12:56:42 AM »
... among the very earliest recordings known of Dylan singing folk material--I mean at like age 17 or 18--there are a couple on which his voice is uncannily Nashville-Skyline-ish ...  Nobody believes cigarettes were the secret factor.

I heard those. Having previously bought into the cigarette/vocal chord theory, I remember thinking "oh, maybe young Bob was trying to quit smoking for a couple of months".

Gary Shandling.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9115 on: September 07, 2012, 10:41:54 AM »
One of those only on the Best Show/only from Tom moments that never get enough credit:

Another one from this show - Tom's quick pivot from the Shandling takedown to quizzing Mike about the last names of the members of the Bangles.

Crusherkc

« Reply #9116 on: September 07, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »
2 fave mo's: to Spike- "Corbin Bernsen's mother?!" and Zilch getting bad accompaniment.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9117 on: September 07, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
Zach is such a human zero that I don't really even find it much fun to hear Tom fuck with him. 
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

wood and iron

« Reply #9118 on: September 07, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »
Listening to this week's show on podcast and just got to the portion where Tom is slandering Sheetz and placing Wawa on a pedestal. My fandom for the Best Show has never been so truly tested as right now. For now, courage.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9119 on: September 07, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
Zach's further slide into rambledom is like a say no to drugs PSA at this point. 'Hey Tom, you gotta lead the revolution, man!' Zach needs to do a stint in Tom Morello's Guitarmy and get himself straightened out...