Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818931 times)

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10605 on: November 15, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »
Two callers from St. Louis (one of whom was there on tour) and one from Springfield, MO.  I have never met another bona fide FOT here in St. Louis.  Given that I have never called and will likely not call through 12/17, it's good to hear Missouri representing.

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10606 on: November 15, 2013, 11:03:39 AM »
Re Gary Wright: I interviewed him over the summer and found him to be abrupt and overly self-impressed.  He totally came across as the guy who'd sign the front of All Things Must Pass.  I know writers who've had similar experiences with the Dream Weaver.  Is the Hate Pit being emptied next month?  If not, Gary Wright deserves at least a brief sentence in there.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10607 on: November 15, 2013, 03:01:29 PM »
Tom must have a distorted memory of Class of 1984. I was checking it out on Youtube and i didn't hear the guy at the end say "teacher teacher" and the band wasn't  actually  playing during the final hanging.

ColbyCheese

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10608 on: November 15, 2013, 03:06:39 PM »
"Mike wants to fight your mother."

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10609 on: November 15, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »
Tom must have a distorted memory of Class of 1984. I was checking it out on Youtube and i didn't hear the guy at the end say "teacher teacher" and the band wasn't  actually  playing during the final hanging.

Impossible.  You must have been watching it wrong.
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10610 on: November 17, 2013, 04:58:29 AM »
Think i might change my screen name to "Dali Lami".

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10611 on: November 17, 2013, 09:27:59 AM »
Who was that cackling in the background, it sounded like Terre T.

There was someone in the background who  I'm pretty sure isn't normally there and was close to a microphone that had a terrible laugh. Kept bugging me the whole show.

At first I found it annoying, but eventually I decided that I was happy to hear somebody who was enjoying the show so much.

DJTT was not "cackling."  They were well-placed and appropriate howls of laughter.  These howls have been heard throughout the show's run when she is in the studio during a show (typically during marathon shows and a couple of other times throughout the year, especially when there is an in-studio guest of interest).  They will be missed.

Omar - yet again - speaks the truth. Thanks.

I was obviously mistaken in identifying the female laughter howls as belonging to DJTT, but I stand by my assessment of both these specifics howls and the very similar sounding DJTT howls that have been broadcast over the years. Incessant cackling/giggling in the background can certainly be annoying, but genuine bursts are always welcome to my ears.

To set the record straight, on my part I was never intending to implicate DJTT in my original comment.

I take the points that people laughing is good, and the intended idea of the show after all. All I meant was that the specific laugh in question was taking me out of the moment of my laughs. Likely a by-product of headphone listening. I regret bringing it up now. I also have no idea who "Amadeo" is.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10612 on: November 17, 2013, 09:34:01 AM »
Amedeo Turturro, often joins in on Depravity's Rainbow

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10613 on: November 17, 2013, 12:36:30 PM »
Not related to this week's show, but remember a year or so back when Tom took a call from an aspiring pro wrestler who Tom labelled "Dumm Oaf"? The guy is doing pretty well for himself. He's got a great gimmick and I would expect to see him in the WWE before too long-
Aiden English Sings for the NXT Universe

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10614 on: November 18, 2013, 11:50:08 PM »
http://www.avclub.com/article/judge-john-hodgman-makes-a-landmark-ruling-and-han-105702

The Best Show On WFMU
A series of guests and dud calls disrupt the flow of this episode, which never seems to settle into any single moment before moving to the next. [TC]

What insight. On an unrelated note, their new site design is horrendous.
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10615 on: November 19, 2013, 12:42:04 PM »
Yeah I read that garbage and resolved to never read anything on their stupid site ever again. 

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10616 on: November 19, 2013, 05:18:13 PM »
Yeah I read that garbage and resolved to never read anything on their stupid site ever again.

Me too. I can't believe anybody reads podmass. It's like it's written by a high school freshman for the school newspaper. (And is there anybody anywhere who wants a review of the Freakonomics podcast? If so here's one: it's awful.)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10617 on: November 19, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »

The Best Show On WFMU
A series of guests and dud calls disrupt the flow of this episode, which never seems to settle into any single moment before moving to the next. [TC]

Uh... If you'd asked me, I would have said "not settling into any single moment" sounds a lot like undisrupted flow to me. This is just guesswork though, since I have no idea what the writer means by these word-things he or she uses.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10618 on: November 19, 2013, 05:51:54 PM »
How long can you settle into one thing and still have it be a moment?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10619 on: November 19, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »
Good point, Fredericks, but fie on these metaphysical discussions. Before there's a new show to dissect, a few notes on Gary's segment with Mike last week:

1) I have an evil suspicion that Mike thought he was getting away with something filthy by suggesting he and Gary might "go down on the tubes."

2) Gary kept talking about how the Gary Fixes Mike segment might go on for "the next few months" and how "we'll see where you are in February." Has Gary not yet gotten the word about the December 17th termination date? Is he going to be filled in on the air? Are we all going to aurally witness his unrehearsed, unfiltered reaction to the traumatic news? If so, it seems cruel--but we always knew Tom would run down an old lady for a great radio moment.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau