Author Topic: General Movie Thread  (Read 766098 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: General Movie Thread
« Reply #1560 on: February 21, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
I needed to get out of the house and spend some time alone so I went to the movies. I'm on line and on an impulse I surprised myself by buying a ticket to- get this- The Green Hornet. In 3D no less. Maybe I was feeling a little self-destructive. I gotta say, it didn't disappoint. That's only because my expectations were so low. What a piece of crap? What were they thinking? Seth Rogen, as the hero was about as unlikable as possible. It's hard to enjoy a story when the guy you're supposed to be rooting fro is a total douchebag. Also, Kato was basically superman and would be much better off without him. 

So I leave this reeking pile of a movie but don't feel like going home. Looky here! The fighter is playing in the next theater and I've only missed 10 minutes- so I slink in and sit down. What a great movie. Interesting story. Every character was interesting. The casting was great. The acting was great across the board. I could've sat there and immediately watched it again.

Michael Gondry- you've earned yourself a lifetime boycott by me. Was 3D referring to an extra dimension of deplorable? Mr. Rogen- I will not see anything you've made for a full 18 months. I'm going easy on you because I've liked a lot of your older stuff.

Sounds like that movie was effin terrible, and a waste of your effin time.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1561 on: February 21, 2011, 06:46:29 PM »
i've been on a netflix instant kick lately and watched The Parking Lot Movie, which i loved.  and the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia, which i also loved.

i'm trying to see the illusionist before it disappears from the theatre(s).

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1562 on: February 21, 2011, 08:42:17 PM »
Anyone else see Cedar Rapids? I found it very mediocre and I think I'm tired of John C. Reilly humor.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1563 on: February 21, 2011, 08:46:45 PM »
Anyone else see Cedar Rapids? I found it very mediocre and I think I'm tired of John C. Reilly humor.

I didn't see it but im really excited about the two films hes doing that come out this year.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #1564 on: February 21, 2011, 09:26:20 PM »

I didn't see it but im really excited about the two films hes doing that come out this year.ing year.

Wow, Ramsaye and Polanski. Impressive.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1565 on: February 21, 2011, 11:50:06 PM »

I found John C's parts the only enjoyable parts of this movie.  (Hope you still like the cut of my jib).

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #1566 on: February 22, 2011, 05:52:17 AM »

I found John C's parts the only enjoyable parts of this movie.  (Hope you still like the cut of my jib).

He was very vulgar, but okay sometimes.

Alex_from_the_woods

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1567 on: February 22, 2011, 08:50:22 AM »
I needed to get out of the house and spend some time alone so I went to the movies. I'm on line and on an impulse I surprised myself by buying a ticket to- get this- The Green Hornet. In 3D no less. Maybe I was feeling a little self-destructive. I gotta say, it didn't disappoint. That's only because my expectations were so low. What a piece of crap? What were they thinking? Seth Rogen, as the hero was about as unlikable as possible. It's hard to enjoy a story when the guy you're supposed to be rooting fro is a total douchebag. Also, Kato was basically superman and would be much better off without him. 

So I leave this reeking pile of a movie but don't feel like going home. Looky here! The fighter is playing in the next theater and I've only missed 10 minutes- so I slink in and sit down. What a great movie. Interesting story. Every character was interesting. The casting was great. The acting was great across the board. I could've sat there and immediately watched it again.

Michael Gondry- you've earned yourself a lifetime boycott by me. Was 3D referring to an extra dimension of deplorable? Mr. Rogen- I will not see anything you've made for a full 18 months. I'm going easy on you because I've liked a lot of your older stuff.

Sounds like that movie was effin terrible, and a waste of your effin time.

It was terrible but I WAS there to waste time. Sometimes I take a chance on something. A lot of times it doesn't work out. Every once in a while I stumble over something really good that way.
Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Exsanguination?

Pidgeon

« Reply #1568 on: February 22, 2011, 08:56:08 AM »
Yeah, I saw Cyrus without having any information about it and loved it.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1569 on: February 22, 2011, 08:36:36 PM »

I didn't see it but im really excited about the two films hes doing that come out this year.ing year.

Wow, Ramsaye and Polanski. Impressive.

Is he in a Polanski film too? I was thinking of the Ramsaye film and Terri.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #1570 on: February 22, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »
He is a great actor of course. For me one of the most emotional scenes of any movie ever is when he loses his gun in Magnolia.

wood and iron

« Reply #1571 on: February 27, 2011, 03:00:20 AM »
Just watched Until The Light Takes Us. Essentially, two pretentious filmmaker's trying very hard to impose a post-modernist view onto the Norwegian black metal scene of the late 80's and early 90's and accidentally making a watchable movie. I mean, any documentary about a music scene where church burnings and more than one murder happen (just for the metal of it all) will be interesting despite the interminable shots of metal dudes walking through snow covered forests and extended segments following around a "visual artist" co-opting black metal imagery.

Also, when they insert a Harmony Korine piece into it, I sort of checked out for a second.

Huge negative side: They really elide over Varg's abominable neo-Nazi views.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1572 on: February 27, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
Restrepo is really good. I liked that they captured the fear and chaos and "Holy shit!" feeling of actually being there without any lingering shots of dead or mangled bodies. It really stands in stark contrast to The Hurt Locker (which I also liked a great deal).
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1573 on: February 27, 2011, 10:46:34 AM »
If you're able to, track down and watch the Danish documentary Armadillo. It's about a team of Danish soliders at an outpost in Afghanistan, and covers pretty much the same bases as Restrepo in an equally involving fashion. I watched Armadillo first, so Restrepo had somewhat of a lesser impact on me (though I found it engaging and certainly worthy of the praise it's gotten). But if you want to see another good documentary about the war, albeit from a slightly different angle (young Danish soldiers going off to war), I'd recommend it.

Sarah

« Reply #1574 on: February 27, 2011, 08:11:30 PM »
Just finished watching 127 Hours.  Danny Boyle unquestionably churns out a slick product:  it was very handsome.  I was, however, very annoyed by the lack of change in James Franco's facial hair over the course of the ordeal, and I thought he was implausibly energetic once he freed himself.  A big fall and grave injury, just over five days with little water and food, and then a brutal amputation with a dull knife, and he's walking briskly?  I know he was a fit young fellow, but come on.

I have seen four of the nominees for best picture, which is amazing (it's been years and years since I've seen even one).  Maybe I'll even watch the Oscars tomorrow in celebration. I think I'll eschew Twitter just in case:  it would be tragic to have the results spoiled for me the first time I've watched the Academy Awards in more than a decade.

P.S.  I wonder what it would have been like watching 127 Hours not knowing at the outset how it ended.

P.P.S.  Non sequitur:  I just heard a fox scream.

P.P.P.S.  Maybe I can work through The Social Network and Inception tonight and tomorrow and up my total to a stunning five.  A fine goal.